Re: REALLY *not* Tamil - changing scripts (long)

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Mon Jul 29 2002 - 16:18:55 EDT

On 07/29/2002 03:06:41 PM Keld Jørn Simonsen wrote:

>> >That does leave you with the must less happy problem of finding a
platform
>> with
>> >user defined locales (approximately no platforms conveniently do this).
>>
>> Indeed, a big problem, which is why I would avoid it as much as
possible.

>Well, Linux does it quite conveniently, and if you use the GNU C
>compiler you can do it on many platforms. That is: create your own 10646
based
>locale, and even make most of the applications run in your own language.

That's all well and good for a skilled programmer living entirely in Linux,
but many small language communities might not have access to a skilled
programmer, and even if they do, they might not want to be limited to Linux
only. It's *much* easier -- and, in the long term, safer -- for them to
select from the extensive inventory of characters available in Unicode and
to avoid using ASCII punctuation characters with redefined word-building
semantics.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>