Re: Tamil Text Messaging in Mobile Phones

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 09:04:31 EDT

More about the rĂ´le of Uniscribe (Microsoft's Unicode engine) can
be found at
http://www.microsoft.com/typography/developers/uniscribe/default.htm

A reason that Unicode text processing is considered necessary at
the OS level is that, if it were not present in the form of a
shared system, each and every program which needed to handle
Unicode text would have to contain too much duplicated information.

A Tamil pronouncing dictionary would probably be outside the
realm of Unicode to endorse or sponsor.

But, at the risk of straying off-topic, what changes are needed in
Unicode before publishing such a dictionary would be possible?

Best regards,

James Kass.