Re: "Missing character" glyph

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Tue Jul 30 2002 - 15:05:20 EDT

On 07/30/2002 12:27:14 PM Martin Kochanski wrote:

>In writing a manual, I want to show examples of what a display looks like
when
>a font doesn't have a particular character.
>
>What Unicode character would best represent the "missing character"
symbol?

>I have looked through the Unicode Standard but not found anything that
>immediately springs to mind. Since missing characters are represented by
hollow
>squares in Arial Unicode MS, I could arbitrarily pick something like
U+25A1 --
>but that might not look the same (in some fonts) as the "missing
character"
>hollow square.

You've answered your own question: you want a character that provides a
specific glyph shape, but then you observe that different fonts have
different shapes from one another wrt a given glyph. Note that the "missing
character" glyph varies from font to font. In fact, it's not always a
hollow square!

Just use U+25A1 and call it a day.

- Peter

Peter Constable

7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
Tel: +1 972 708 7485
E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>