Re: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Units

From: Kenneth Whistler (kenw@sybase.com)
Date: Fri Aug 02 2002 - 21:04:27 EDT

> At 04:48 PM 02-08-02, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
>
> >... and some extreme case
> >orthographies are known that employ up to *hepta*graphs!
>
> Ooo, I want one! Do you have any examples, Ken?

If I recall correctly, that one was a technical orthography
of Nama -- but I can't track down an online reference at the
moment.

In the meantime, for a sampler of some of the wild multigraphs
used in various orthographies for Khoi and San languages, try

http://www.african.gu.se/khsnms.html

Examples: "'//Ng" <-- there's a pentagraph for you.

"//Kx'", "//Kh'" and so on.

-- //Kh'en

P.S. The San peoples are now apparently vigorously objecting
to being lumped with the Khoi peoples as "Khoisan". See:

http://allafrica.com/stories/200104270244.html