Re: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Units

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Aug 03 2002 - 15:53:58 EDT

Sean B. Palmer <sean at mysterylights dot com> wrote:

> Since there are 676 possible digraph combinations, I endeavoured to
> come up with a simpler approach to marking the digraphs as a single
> character than simply creating a codepoint for each one. I have two
> ideas so far:-
> * Come up with a digraph combinging character, such that c + h +
> digraph-combinging-character forms the "ch" grapheme

As others got a chance to mention first, Unicode already has such a
character, U+034F COMBINING GRAPHEME JOINER. For a full explanation of
how CGJ is used, see Section 13.2 of Unicode Standard Annex #28,
"Unicode 3.2," located at:

http://www.unicode.org/unicode/reports/tr28/#13_2_layout_controls

-Doug Ewell
 Fullerton, California