RE: Digraphs as Distinct Logical Units

From: Marco Cimarosti (marco.cimarosti@essetre.it)
Date: Wed Aug 07 2002 - 12:21:31 EDT

Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> > At 04:48 PM 02-08-02, Kenneth Whistler wrote:
> >
> > >... and some extreme case
> > >orthographies are known that employ up to *hepta*graphs!
> >
> > Ooo, I want one! Do you have any examples, Ken?
>
> If I recall correctly, that one was a technical orthography
> of Nama -- but I can't track down an online reference at the
> moment.

If you also consider transliterations, the single Cyrillic letter "щ" is
transliterated as "schtsch" in German.

But, as "щ" actually represents a sequence of two Russian phonemes ([S] +
[tS]), and German "schtsch" could be considered a transcription rather that
a transliteration, the sequence could even be considered as trigraph "sch"
followed by tetragraph "tsch".

_ Marco