Re: Tildes on vowels

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Thu Aug 08 2002 - 12:12:05 EDT

David Possin wrote:

> It doesn't display when using Arial Unicode MS in Word or IE browser.
> But is 'I' the correct character? Shouldn't it be 'E'? I can't find a
> dedicated Unicode character for Superscript Latin Small Letter E
> though, so we are back to markup on this one.

The "Medieval Unicode Font Initiative" <http://www.hit.uib.no/mufi/proposal/PUA-range10-v1.html> are
proposing a range of superscript letters used in Medieval Germanic manuscripts for inclusion within
the Private Use Area (E900-E9FF) to supplement the superscript letters in the Combining Diacritical
Marks block (0363-036F) :

COMBINING LATIN SMALL LIGATURE AE
COMBINING LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL B
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER B
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER ETH
COMBINING LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL D
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER F
COMBINING LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL G
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER G
COMBINING LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL K
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER K
COMBINING LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL L
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER L
COMBINING LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL M
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER N
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER N
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER P
COMBINING LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL R
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER S
COMBINING LATIN LETTER TALL S
COMBINING LATIN LETTER SMALL CAPITAL T
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER Y
COMBINING LATIN SMALL LETTER Z

The Private Use Area is anathema to me though - if there is a genuine need for a character then it
should be encoded in Unicode proper.

Personally I think that markup may be more appropriate, given the countless possible permutations of
combining/superscript letters that may be encountered in mediaeval texts in various languages.

Andrew West