Re: Taboo Variants

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Aug 09 2002 - 14:11:23 EDT

Andrew C. West scripsit:

> Given that there's going to be proposals for additional CJK symbols
> and punctuation marks in the future (if no-one else does I've got a few
> I'll propose), surely it would be better to simply create a "CJK Symbols
> and Punctuation B" block for the proposed IDEOGRAPHIC TABOO VARIATION
> INDICATOR. It's irrelevant that the block will only have one charcacter
> to start with. It's got to be better than polluting other blocks with
> characters that just don't belong there.

Blocks exist to keep things simple for allocators (i.e. UTC and WG2), and
not to allow end-users to make deductions about them; all such deductions
are quite illegitimate. (If this isn't actually written down anywhere,
it should be.)

ISO 10646 (but not Unicode) does have the notion of labelled collections,
which may be open (i.e. include currently unassigned codepoints) or closed.
Regrettably, I can't cite examples, as AFAIK the list of collections is
not online anywhere.

--
John Cowan                              <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
http://www.ccil.org/~cowan              http://www.reutershealth.com