Re: Furigana

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Wed Aug 14 2002 - 09:09:35 EDT

Michael Everson scripsit:

> Excuse me, this makes no sense whatsoever. If your company, for
> instance, needed INTERNAL code points to attach to higher level
> protocols, why did you not use the Private Use Area?

Well, suppose I wanted to use a codepoint internally to a program for
some purpose or other -- for example, to indicate the point at which
a graphic was to be inserted in the final HTML output. If I allocated
U+E000 to that purpose, then that program could not be used to process
CSUR Tengwar text. Thus it is useful to have non-character codepoints,
which are not meant to be interchanged, as well as PUA codepoints,
which are meant to be interchanged under private agreements.

In essence, though not formally, U+FFF9..U+FFFC are non-characters as
well, and the Unicode "semantics" just tells what programs *may* find them
useful for. Unicode 4.0 editors: it might be a good idea to emphasize
the close relationship of this small repertoire with the non-characters.

--
John Cowan          http://www.ccil.org/~cowan        jcowan@reutershealth.com
To say that Bilbo's breath was taken away is no description at all.  There are