Re: Discrepancy between Names List & Code Charts?

From: James Kass (jameskass@worldnet.att.net)
Date: Thu Aug 15 2002 - 21:19:23 EDT

Thank you for the clear explanation of the "cedilla vs. comma"
issue.

Earlier this year, a Livonian user had requested that appropriate
changes be made to a certain font. My research led me to the
same conclusions that you have shared with us.

Changes were made here, but I was reluctant to change the "t"
glyphs. Last night the "t" glyphs were changed, and then your
letter arrived and I'm more comfortable with the decision.

I've not been able to find "Latvijas Valsts Standarts" on-line, but
Michael Everson's page on Livonian seems to confirm that the
character named 't-cedilla' is to be used and it should look like
the 't-comma' glyph. I don't understand why Livonian uses U+0162
and U+0163 instead of U+021A and U+021B, but perhaps this is
because U+021A and U+021B had not yet been added to Unicode
when the Livonian standard was made.

Does anyone know of a writing system which actually uses the
Latin letter "t" with a bona-fide cedilla?

Best regards,

James Kass.