Re: FW: New version of TR29:

From: Andrew C. West (andrewcwest@alumni.princeton.edu)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 09:32:24 EDT

On Tue, 20 August 2002, John Cowan wrote:

> How about this heuristic:
>
> Break after an apostrophe that is the second or third letter in the
> word. Do not break after apostrophes that come later. This neatly
> handles (I think) all the English, Italian, and Esperanto cases, and
> a good many of the French ones.

Does not work with K'ang-hsi or Ch'ien-lung, or apostrophes used in IPA and other systems of
phonetic transcription.

Seems to me that one apostrophe is not enough - how about a NON-BREAKING APOSTROPHE for cases like
K'ang-hsi or Ch'ien-lung, and by default the ordinary apostrophe is always breaking ?

Andrew