Re: FW: New version of TR29:

From: Philipp Reichmuth (uzsv2k@uni-bonn.de)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 12:38:16 EDT

>> "G'iyosaddin" would (sorry for the silly word, it's the middle name of
>> a medieval poet, but it's the first thing that came into my mind, and
>> "g'" is not such a rare combination in Uzbek that this is the only
>> case).

MC> It depends on what you mean by "sensibly".

You can't expect the result to be valid for languages other than those
it was explicitly designed for.

As a result, since it is meant to be a general-purpose algorithm, it
might be a good idea to explicitly designate the languages along which
the algorithm was designed?

MC> To me, privileging French and Italian over Uzbek is a sensible
MC> choice.

Oh, to me it is as well. Uzbek is clearly not the #1 or #5 or #20
language in the world. I was talking about Uzbek mainly because it was
the first counterexample that came to my mind :-)

  Philipp