Re: FW: New version of TR29:

From: Marion Gunn (mgunn@egt.ie)
Date: Tue Aug 20 2002 - 14:23:12 EDT

Arsa Doug Ewell:
>John Cowan <jcowan at reutershealth dot com> wrote:
>
>> How about this heuristic:
>>
>> Break after an apostrophe that is the second or third letter in the
>> word. Do not break after apostrophes that come later. This neatly
>> handles (I think) all the English, Italian, and Esperanto cases, and
>> a good many of the French ones.
>
>I'
>m not sure this would work.
>
>-Doug Ewell
> Fullerton, California

And I'
m sure John Cowan's above 'heuristic' wouldn'
t work,
either in a 'Celtic' environment or in common 'Celtic-contaminated'
(non-elided) English (where one must NOT break where two capital letters
are separated by an apostrophe).

[To address Marco]: I think a sentence of cimaUTR29_4.html Rationale needs
to be changed, so as to accommodate the 'ornamental' use of an intrusive
apostrophe to anglicize Irish surnames, where 'The apostrophe is [NOT] part
of the word that precedes it, and an implicit word break comes [NOT] after
it.'

O'Donnell Abú!
mg

--