RE: Double Macrons on

From: Robert (bob4you27@excite.com)
Date: Mon Sep 02 2002 - 16:18:28 EDT

From: Kenneth Whistler [mailto: kenw@sybase.com]
To: bob4you27@excite.com
     Cc: unicode@unicode.org
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 14:45:17 -0700 (PDT)
Subject: RE: Double Macrons on "gh"...

> Robert Wheelock asked:
>
> > Recently, I read some messages saying that there're 3 new
> > double-wide overstruck accents are proposed for Unicode:
>
> Umm. Well, they aren't "double-wide" and they aren't
> "overstruck",
> and their names are not:
>
> > 035D: double-wide breve
> > 035E: double-wide macron
> > 035F: double-wide underbar (d-w combining low line)
>
> but rather:
>
> 035D COMBINING DOUBLE BREVE
> 035E COMBINING DOUBLE MACRON
> 035F COMBINING DOUBLE LOW LINE
>
> > Please send me more info (and some documentation) on those accents.
>
> These would occur in sequences such as:
>

> to give the effect of a breve stretched over a pair of o's, as
> often seen in Webster-style dictionary pronunciation guides.
> Technically, the combining double accents combine with the
> base letter they follow, but their glyphs would be designed so
> that they would overhang a following base letter as well.
> In practice, fonts might simply choose to have ligatures for
> the entire sequence, to avoid complications of calculating
> the accent positions dynamically.
>
> For more examples, just look in dictionary pronunciation guides.
>
> --Ken

--Reply--
Hello again, Ken and all Unicoders!
I read your reply to my reply. I do see examples of digraphs with accents—even in standard transliteration systems!! The Arabic laryngeals *kha'* and *ghain* would be typed in like this:
kh—for Arabic *kha'*
gh—for Arabic *ghain*
Davison's Hebrew Grammar uses his own scholarly-like transcription that uses 6 underbarred digraphs (bh, gh, dh, kh, ph, th) that would involve the combining double low line (which I'd call a wide underbar)—those 6 digraphs represent the Hebrew fricatives resulting from the corresponding tenues (plosives); his (bh, ph) I'd rewrite with simple (v, f) instead.

   ·035D COMBINING DOUBLE BREVE=(combining wide breve)
   ·035E COMBINING DOUBLE MACRON=(combining wide macron)
   ·035F COMBINING DOUBLE LOW LINE=(combining wide underbar)

Above, you'll see the correlation between the official character names given by Unicode, and the informal functional names I usually call them by.

Thank You!

Robert Lloyd Wheelock
International Symbolism Research Institute
Augusta, ME USA

Changed your e-mail? Keep your contacts! Use this free e-mail change of address service from Return Path. Register now!