UMRE (Formerly: Re: various stroked characters)

From: Robert (bob4you27@excite.com)
Date: Fri Sep 06 2002 - 15:15:05 EDT

 --- On Fri 09/06, wrote:
From: [mailto: Peter_Constable@sil.org]
To: jameskass@worldnet.att.net
     Cc: bob4you27@excite.com, kenw@sybase.com
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 10:06:16 -0500
Subject: Re: various stroked characters

> Thanks. I gather, then, that his work is well-known and used among
> Ladino-ists, rather than being some obscurity with transcription
> practices
> that nobody else cares about, yes?
>

> Peter
--Reply 1--
Yes—it is! It's about the bast transliteration system for Ladino that I've seen (others I saw weren't as precise nor easy-to-use); circumflexes are used on (c, j, y, z), while barred forms are employed for (b, d, g, k)—a cross between modified Spanish spelling and the Esperanto alphabet.

> On 09/06/2002 09:41:45 AM "James Kass" wrote:
>
> >Peter Constable wrote,
> >
> >> ... (e.g. I'm not familiar
> >> either with UMRE or with the Padre Recuero Transliteration and
> who uses
> it
> >
> >Besides Father Recuero?
> >
> >> -- not saying that I question the veracity and validity of
> anything, but
> >> only that it helps to feel confident when you have at least some
> >> familiarity).
> >
> >Pascual Recuero, Pascual. Ortografia del Ladino : soluciones y
> evolucion.
> >Granada: Universidad de Granada, Departamento de Estudios
> >Semiticos, 1988.
> >
> >Pascual Recuero, Pascual.
> >Diccionario basico ladino-espanol. Barcelona: Ameller, 1977.
> >
> >Cheers,
> >
> >-James.
> >
> >P.S. - Sorry, don't have copies here.

--Reply 2--
UMRE is (of course) my *Universal Revisional Modern English* phonetic notation system that's based on standard transliteration systems for English, yet has universal coverage.

Thank You!

Robert Lloyd Wheelock
Augusta, ME USA

Changed your e-mail? Keep your contacts! Use this free e-mail change of address service from Return Path. Register now!