Re: [OT] Spanish grammar (was Re: [q] Typesetting rules in Spanish)

From: Martin Kochanski (unicode@cardbox.net)
Date: Sat Sep 07 2002 - 16:28:12 EDT

To expand: "su" can mean "his" "her" "their" as well as the polite "your". In this context, "el marino, el hermano de su madre" risks being felt as a complete phrase in itself (the sailor, the brother of his mother), so you need "de usted" to anchor it firmly to the second person. If Juan hadn't been a sailor, (yo soy Juan de Aguirre, el hermano de su madre") then the risk wouldn't have been there but he could, as D.E. says, still have been being ultra-polite.