Fw: Latin vowels?

From: Patrick Andries (pandries@iti.qc.ca)
Date: Mon Sep 09 2002 - 04:07:28 EDT

 This is an exercice that is heavily language-dependent ("y" or "j", for
example). What if letters fall in more than two categories (vowels,
consonants and glides for instance) ?

 OU corresponds to /W/ in Huron. The French missionaries did not use the
Germanic "W" but had to distinguish the vowel /u/ (written "o" + "u"
side-by-side) from the approximant /W/ (they added the "u" on top of the
 "o").

 BTW, the U+0222 reference glyph in
 http://www.unicode.org/charts/PDF/U0180.pdf is far too close to an 8, I
 believe.