Re: French or German Unicode Names??

From: Markus Scherer (markus.scherer@jtcsv.com)
Date: Tue Sep 17 2002 - 17:16:52 EDT

Not that I have anything against French or German(!), but beware of what you would do with a translation.
Translated names are fine as an annotation.

Character names are treated as identifiers of abstract characters.
They do not necessarily describe the abstract character well, or even properly.
You may sometimes misunderstand the semantics and use of a character if you only look at its Unicode name and not at all the annotations and properties defined in the Unicode standard.

Best regards,
markus

--
Opinions expressed here may not reflect my company's positions unless otherwise noted.