Re: about starting off

From: Barry Caplan (bcaplan@i18n.com)
Date: Thu Sep 19 2002 - 13:14:07 EDT

    Roslyn,

    I am working on a postgres database too - I haven't yet gotten to extensively testing the unicode aspects, but be sure to set the character set of the database to unicode when you create it. Otherwise all is probably lost - I don't know that you can simply change the char set later, and if you have to dump and import the data, you'd have to do some sort of conversions. Why bother making extra work for yourself?

    As for the code in php (I am using Perl myself and something similar applies) every time you manipulate text (every time!) get used to asking yourself if you (or php) are making any assumptions that one byte is the same as one character. The answer needs to be no, but will often be yes. Reconciling these issues is the bulk of making Unicode work for you.

    Barry Caplan
    Publisher, www.i18n.com