RE: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: P. J. Patterson (pj@ctt-inc.com)
Date: Thu Sep 26 2002 - 14:15:37 EDT

    Actually, as a publisher, we do have a problem with this. I publish
    scientific abstract data which is collected from authors all over the
    world. Since the information becomes dated so quickly, we are always
    looking for ways to reduce turn around time from collection to
    publication. The books are sometimes 600 pages, and overhead must be
    kept low. Unicode helps us keep the data accurate, but we are still
    running into problems identifying missing glyphs prior to printing - for
    the most part it comes down to visual recognition. This is complicated
    by the fact that the submission and review processes are all browser
    based.

    I spoke with a few people from Adobe at the conference, and the concept
    of fall-back fonts was very appealing, at least to minimize the missing
    glyphs and still allow for wider font selections. But some sort of
    alert system beyond the unrecognized character display is really what we
    are looking for.

    I think, ideally, I would be looking for a program to examine a
    document, compare to the selected fonts (with fallback), and then list
    the missing glyphs for individual handling.

    Anyone have any thoughts?

    P.J. Patterson
    Director of Product Research and Development
    Coe-Truman Technologies, Inc.
    e. pj@ctt-inc.com
    p. 217-398-8594
    f. 217-355-0101