Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Fri Sep 27 2002 - 01:27:22 EDT

    Tex Texin wrote,

    > James, thanks as always for your reply.
    > The 65K limit is ugly...

    Thank you, Tex, for this fascinating thread.

    Don't despair. As Peter Constable has pointed out, the infrastructure
    for having browsers support language tags is already present. He has
    also provided a great outline/overview of just what is required.

    IMO, we are close to many improvements in this regard. Paul Nelson of
    the Microsoft Typography Group is doing a tremendous job with respect
    to OpenType technology and the Uniscribe engine. Other platforms are
    also making great strides forward.

    Once the font specs for all this are set and fonts are released with
    the necessary coverage and the shaping engines can access all of this,
    the browsers are sure to quickly add support, too. It's all somewhat
    interrelated.

    Unicode is the best way to go, because Unicode is all about character
    encoding. Shucks, I guess I don't have to tell you about the
    benefits of Unicode, eh?

    Best regards,

    James Kass.