[OT] Time zone reported by e-mail (was: Re: Keys.)

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Sat Sep 28 2002 - 13:03:56 EDT

    <Peter_Constable at sil dot org> wrote:

    > BTW, my mail client (Lotus Notes, for better or worse) reports what
    > time in *my* time zone an author wrote the given message. Such
    > reporting of time in international communications is problematic;
    > time zones need to be stated explicitly. We discovered this quite a
    > while ago after scheduling a tele-conference; the half of the dept.
    > in the UK assumed the time they saw was Dallas time (or maybe they
    > suggested the time and we were reading it), but Notes had silently
    > done a time zone conversion.

    I used to have this problem with CompuServe, whose server is/was located
    in Ohio, three hours ahead of me. My messages were regularly
    time-stamped with Eastern Time, leading some to believe that I was
    posting in the wee hours of the night. I've been known to stay up late
    with the Unicode list, but not 3:30 in the morning.

    I believe Adelphia marks my messages with the correct local time (about
    10:03 for this one).

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California