Re: Combining large X overlay?

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 11:22:35 EDT

    Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin <antonio at tuvalkin dot web dot pt> wrote:

    > I was quite surprised when I noted that a "combining large X overlay"
    > was not included in the Combining Diacritical Marks block (which
    > contains mostely non-diacriticals, rather iconic symbols, BTW).
    >
    > We have enclosing diamond and circlr and square, we have an enclosing
    > slashed circle, and even an enclosing keycap... so why not an X
    > overlay? Any idea why doesn't it exists, any current projects
    > (missing also in the pipeline and roadmap, AFAICT), perhaps why is it
    > a bad idea...?

    Can you show why it would be a *good* idea? I can't think of any
    plain-text uses for a combining X overlay, though I can think of
    numerous purely iconic uses.

    The burden is on the proposer to show why a proposed character is
    necessary or would be useful. Saying "it seems like it should be there,
    because many similar combining-overlay characters are there" doesn't
    provide a persuasive case for X-overlay.

    > Can anyone just step forward and propose U+20E4 for a "combining large
    > X overlay" and call it a day?

    Well, U+20E4 is already assigned to COMBINING ENCLOSING UPWARD POINTING
    TRIANGLE. But besides that, you would need to fill out the proposal
    form -- not simply mention it on the list -- and most importantly, you
    would need to show what plain-text requirement would be fulfilled by
    adding this character.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California