RE: The Currency Symbol of China

From: Barry Caplan (bcaplan@i18n.com)
Date: Mon Sep 30 2002 - 19:40:57 EDT

    Wow ! I brought Ben out of lurk status after 6 months!

    Interesting post too - my limited understanding goes back only to Heian era (~970-1100 AD OTTOMH). That combined with various early western transliterations into what we now call romaji, before Hepburn became semi-standardized.

    For instance, IIRC, Isabella Bird wrote in her (British) English travelogue in the early Meiji restoration era (1878 AD) of travels to Yedo (now commonly called "Edo" in the literature, and known by its modern name to all as "Tokyo"). She called Tokyo "Tokiyo".

    It is these types of early Western writings form Japan where I have seen the "Ye" used, but since they are also littered with plenty of other examples of weird transliterations, I just wrote it off to that.

    I also think (but I could be wrong) that "ye" is not one of the characters in the famous Buddhist poem that uses each of the kana once and only once, and establishes a de facto sorting order by virtue of being the only such poem.

    OTOH, I am pretty sure that poem is either from or post-dates the Heian era, so it wouldn't rule out your point.

    Barry Caplan
    www.i18n.com