Re: glyph selection for Unicode in browsers

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Oct 01 2002 - 14:45:54 EDT

    At 03:22 AM 30-09-02, Peter_Constable@sil.org wrote:

    > >I think the idea is that, in a word processor for example
    >
    >What would you say about a browser?

    Probably something about extended style sheets that include typographic
    system tagging. Ideally, as a typographer, I would like something like CSS
    that includes a tag for every registered OpenType Layout feature -- and OT
    'language system' tagging that sits below the level of document language
    tagging etc. --, so that I can create sophisticated online documents with
    the same level of typographic control as I have for print documents. I
    realise that it may be necessary to dress this up as a higher level,
    non-proprietory-technology-specific mark up.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    Those books that allow us to forget the most
    are accorded the status of a classic.
                                               - James Secord