Omicron + Upsilon Ligature

From: P. T. Rourke (ptrourke@methymna.com)
Date: Wed Oct 02 2002 - 13:07:17 EDT

    Just for an additional note: the usual place to look for Greek and Latin
    abbreviations and ligatures is Thompson, "Introduction to Greek and
    Latin Paleography" (not the "Handbook to Greek Paleography"). In
    miniscule manuscripts and miniscule typography (e.g., Aldus), they are
    very, very common, and the list of abbreviations and ligatures is, as
    suggested already, very long. I've been writing something on just this
    issue just this past week. I would assume that they should be
    represented in electronic texts with their normalized values and marked
    up to indicate the ligatures in a higher protocol, and if exact
    representation is necessary, transform the markup to entities and use
    the PUA. Make sense to anyone?

    Thanks.