Re: Historians- what is origin of i18n, l10n, etc.?

From: Hideki Hiura (hiura@li18nux.org)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 10:17:38 EDT

    > From: "Winkler, Arnold F" <Arnold.Winkler@unisys.com>
    > Sometime around 1991 in a IEEE P1003.1 (POSIX) meeting, Gary Miller (IBM)
    > was writing on the blackboard. After having spelled out
    > Internationalization a few times, he first abbreviated it to I--n and a bit
    > later (obviously after counting the letters in between) used I18N. Sandra
    > might have been at the meeting, and Keld - they might be able to confirm my
    > recollection.

    The acronym "I18N" appeared before 1991, since I recall I have
    already used I18N in '89 ;-).

    The beginning of this kind of acronym was S12N(Scherpenhuizen) at
    DEC, as far as on the record, as an email address for him on DEC VMS.

    By 1985, I18N became an acronym for Internationalization in the I18N
    team at DEC, by following this Scherpenhuizen's S12N convention.

    Among the standard organizations, the /usr/group (It became UniForum
    later) was the first one using I18N as an acronym for
    Internationalization, in '88.

    --
    hiura@{freestandards.org,OpenI18N.org,li18nux.org,unicode.org,sun.com}
    Chair, Li18nux/Linux Internationalization Initiative,  http://www.li18nux.org