RE: Historians- what is origin of i18n, l10n, etc.?

From: John McConnell (johnmcco@windows.microsoft.com)
Date: Thu Oct 10 2002 - 13:02:00 EDT

    I can confirm Hiura-san's version. I heard it from Jurgen Bettels, who've I've known since '84 and worked with Scherpenhuizen in the Geneva office at the time. Scherpenhuizen managed the ISO work.

    In the days when bytes were precious, VMS had a character username limit. Some anonymous system administrator shortened Scherpenhuizen's username to S12N to fit. It may have been especially funny because Scherpenhuizen was an unusually large man. Whatever, it became an office joke for long words. Internationalization had just become a hot topic in ISO then, so it was applied, and stuck.

    I suspect Eamon MacDermott may have been the person who spread the term from DEC to the rest of the world.

    John