[W3C-I18N-WG] Call for Participation, Web Services TF

From: Addison Phillips [wM] (aphillips@webmethods.com)
Date: Mon Oct 14 2002 - 13:54:46 EDT

    Hello Unicadets:

    Recently the W3C's Internationalization Work Group completed its rechartering. As a result, two new task forces were created to augment the existing "core" activity (of creating and reviewing internationalization issues in standards for the Web). One of these is the Web Services Task Force, whose focus will be on creating and influencing standards related to the area of Web services and the protocols, locales, and data structures related to these. I'm writing to you as the chair of the new task force to ask for your participation.

    This is your chance to become involved and actually do something about globalization issues that affect all of us. As with any activity there are different levels of involvement, but it is most rewarding if we have many participants at the highest level of involvement.

    As a member of the Unicode community, you are already interested in globalization issues. This task force has the opportunity, for good or ill, to influence how the next generation of Internet technologies implement languages, encodings, locales, and data structures support users worldwide. It will have the opportunity to set "the rules" for things such as language tagging, locale interchange, or preference indication on the Web.

    Standards organizations like W3C can provide the opportunity to do something about problems that you encounter every day. However, a task force is not some mythic body composed of annointed experts. This task force needs you to consider contributing time and effort in order to be successful. I urge each of you to review the different levels of activity listed below and consider participating.

    For more information, see http://www.w3.org/International/ws.

    1. WG Membership. If you work for a W3C member organization (see [1] below for a list) it is quite easy to become a member of the Working Group. This does represent a commitment on your part (to participate in teleconferences, group activities, and meetings, as well as to contribute to the overall effort of the group), but carries with it the greatest involvement and reward.

    As with anything, the greatest level of commitment brings with it the greatest reward. You will have full access to and full participation in all of the WS related activities of this task force. Not to mention the recognition of your peers and colleagues.

    2. IG Membership. If you feel unable to make a commitment to the task force, but are interested in our activities and you work for a W3C member organization, you can still participate on a relatively high level by joining the Interest Group. IG members will have access to and the opportunity to participate in some of the activities of the main task force without the commitment of any particular amount of time or effort. I strongly urge you to consider WG membership if you have at least some time to commit to this effort, but IG members will have an opportunity to contribute too.

    3. Public Membership. Anyone can join our public mailing list (public-i18n-ws@w3.org) where the majority of technical discussion will take place. In addition, we will be asking for public contribution of use cases and other materials to support our task force's activities. While you won't have access to or a direct voice in the decisions and direction of the task force, your voice will be heard and you will have a chance to help make the TF a success.

    We will consider a few applications to be "invited experts" (that is, people who do not work for W3 member organizations) for WG membership, provided you can commit the time and effort. This kind of membership is limited because of the way that the W3C works. If you are interested in this type of involvement, I do urge you to contact us.

    To find out details about this opportunity and details on how to join at any of these levels of involvement, you should check our how public page here: http://www.w3.org/International/ws

    Best Regards,

    Addison

    [1] http://www.w3.org/Consortium/Member/List

    Addison P. Phillips
    Director, Globalization Architecture
    webMethods, Inc.

    +1 408.962.5487 (phone) +1 408.210.3569 (mobile)
    It is not a feature.

    Chair, W3C-I18N-WG Web Services Task Force
    To participate see http://www.w3.org/International/ws