Re: Hindi keyboard with the Microsoft Hindi font Mangal

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 01:52:19 EDT

    <nbarman at randomhouse dot com> wrote:

    > I am trying to use the Hindi keyboard with the Hindi font
    > Mangal provided by Microsoft. I'm not understanding what key
    > I should press to get the ZWJ (Zero-Width Joiner) as well as
    > the Zero-Width-Non-Joiner (ZWNJ). I've looked at various
    > keyboard mappings online and not found how to get these characters.
    >
    > I'm able to use these two in Microsoft Word if I go into the
    > character map and find them by their Unicode number value and
    > then assign a keyboard shortcut to them, but otherwise, I've
    > not met with success.

    I visited Microsoft's keyboard site at:

    http://www.microsoft.com/globaldev/keyboards/keyboards.asp

    and couldn't find any mappings for ZWJ or ZWNJ on the Hindi keyboard
    either.

    I know that ZWJ is used in Devanagari to form explicit half-consonants.
    What would ZWNJ do?

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California