Re: Origin of the term i18n

From: Doug Ewell (dewell@adelphia.net)
Date: Tue Oct 15 2002 - 03:37:31 EDT

    Barry Caplan <bcaplan at i18n dot com> wrote:

    > My research over the last week indicates that the origins of Unicode
    > are very definitely of the same era and from the same community of
    > the people who brought the idea of internationalization to a critical
    > mass, and coined the term i18n. One has not been separable from the
    > other since at least 1989.

    Just to make sure everyone is clear on this:

    I am not arguing against the concept of internationalization, or even
    against occasional use of the abbreviation "i18n." I use it myself
    sometimes, just as I use smileys sometimes.

    What I am arguing against is going hog-wild making up new obscure
    abbreviations from the same template, and
    clogging the Unicode list with them. Anything beyond "i18n" and "l10n"
    is tantamount to the "man with glasses smoking a cigar and drooling"
    type of smiley.

    -Doug Ewell
     Fullerton, California