Re: Character identities

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 06:13:40 EDT

    On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:46:04AM +0200, Kent Karlsson wrote:
    > Please don't. "a^e" is <U+0061, U+0364>.

    Which is great, if you're a scholar trying to accurately reproduce an
    old text; if you're Joe User, trying to print a document in an Olde
    German font, it's far more inconvienant than helpful.

    > Still they are definitely different enough to be considered
    > othographic differences, not font differences.

    Changing a^e to ä is all that would need to be done to make the books
    that use a^e look like those of the same timeframe that use ä. I'm not
    sure where you draw the line between font and orthographic differences,
    but this does not require dictionary lookup, and for my purposes is
    most easily done by a font change.

    --
    David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
    Great is the battle-god, great, and his kingdom--