Re: Character identities

From: David Starner (starner@okstate.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 06:13:40 EDT

    On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 11:46:04AM +0200, Kent Karlsson wrote:
    > Please don't. "a^e" is <U+0061, U+0364>.

    Which is great, if you're a scholar trying to accurately reproduce an
    old text; if you're Joe User, trying to print a document in an Olde
    German font, it's far more inconvienant than helpful.

    > Still they are definitely different enough to be considered
    > othographic differences, not font differences.

    Changing a^e to is all that would need to be done to make the books
    that use a^e look like those of the same timeframe that use . I'm not
    sure where you draw the line between font and orthographic differences,
    but this does not require dictionary lookup, and for my purposes is
    most easily done by a font change.

    --
    David Starner - starner@okstate.edu
    Great is the battle-god, great, and his kingdom--