need open source tools to convert indic font encoding into ISCII or Unicode

From: Yung-Fong Tang (ftang@netscape.com)
Date: Thu Oct 24 2002 - 15:28:10 EDT

    Dear unicoder:

    I am looking for open source tool (C / C++ / Perl or Java) to convert
    between (UTF-8/UTF-16 or ISCII) and differnt Indict font encoding.
    Please let me know if you know anything available.

    Language:
     C,
     C++,
     Perl, or
     Java

    Convert from A to / from B where
    A mean
     UTF-8
     UTF-16, or
     ISCII

    B mean
     font encoding of Nadunia font
     font encoding of Shusha font
     font encoding of DV-Suresh font
     font encoding of DV-Yogesh font
     font encoding of Mangal font (that is just OpenType, is it ?)

    Also conversion between
     UTF-16 and ISCII

    If there are no CODE available, information (mapping table, algorithm,
    documentation) are also helpful.

    Below is the information I already know. If you know anything more than
    that, please let me know. Or if you know more detail about those, please
    also let me know:

    1. I know Eric Mader at IBM is working on a layout engine which he
    reverse enginieer some of the Indic font encoding.
    2. There are some very limited information about INSFOC font from page
    76-77 at http://tdil.mit.gov.in/tdiljan2002.pdf

    3. Pango probably have some table to handle these fonts. Sun help us
    (mozilla) to put a small part of pango code into mozilla to handle
    hindi in
    http://lxr.mozilla.org/seamonkey/source/intl/ctl/src/hindiShaper/dvng-x.c

    The whole pango source at
    ftp://ftp.gtk.org/pub/gtk/v2.0/pango-1.0.5.tar.gz
    They have some shapping engine for indic fonts. But I am not sure that
    will to revers mapping from font code back to iscii

    4. t http://tdil.mit.gov.in/download/menu.htm#INDIX you may have some
    open soruce code there deal with the conversion

    5. about Nadunia
    look at
    http://www.xfree86.org/archives/i18n/1999-Nov/0032.shtml
      http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/nai2ucs.pl
    <http://crl.nmsu.edu/%7Emleisher/nai2ucs.pl>
    http://crl.nmsu.edu/~mleisher/naicode.html

     Mark Leisher. (/mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu/
    <mailto:mleisher@crl.nmsu.edu?subject=Re:%20Updated%20Naidunia%20conversion%20script&replyto=14395.2003.66999.389332@ismaros.crl.nmsu.edu>)
    seems pretty knowledgable about this issue.

    6. Mangal- Mangal is just a OpenType font, right? should the page
    encoded in UTF-8 ?