Re: Tiberian Hebrew font situation

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Oct 31 2002 - 12:36:36 EST

    ekeown@student.umass.edu scripsit:

    > I've been told by a respected and experienced Hebrew
    > font maker that it is IMPOSSIBLE to get all the Tiberian
    > Hebrew marks on 1 font under the Unicode system.

    I am no font designer, but certainly having dots appear in different
    sizes/places depending on the base character is very straightforward
    in all modern Unicode-loving font technologies.

    > I attempted to re-use other Semitic dots first, only
    > going into Euro, left-to-right blocks where it was
    > unavoidable.

    Fair enough, though combining marks have no inherent script or directionality.

    --
    One art / There is                      John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>
    No less / No more                       http://www.reutershealth.com