RE: ct, fj and blackletter ligatures

From: Carl W. Brown (cbrown@xnetinc.com)
Date: Sat Nov 02 2002 - 13:14:41 EST

    Thomas,

    It seems that the private use area is abused. If you are sending characters
    between two systems that are not a part of the Unicode standard then you can
    use the private use area with agreed code points.

    With ligatures you scan the text and identify ligature pairs. The resultant
    text is then printed or displayed using new code points that are internal to
    that system. There is a code point range U+FDD0 to U+FDEF that can be used
    for internal processes.

    Carl