Re: ct, fj and blackletter ligatures

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Tue Nov 05 2002 - 10:14:29 EST

    At 02:18 11/5/2002, William Overington wrote:

    >Well, I suppose it depends upon what one means by a file format that
    >supports Unicode. The TrueType format does not support the ZWJ method and
    >thus does not "provide means to access unencoded glyphs by transforming
    >certain strings of Unicode characters into them".

    All three of the current 'smart font' formats are extensions of the
    TrueType file format. Structurally, the only difference between a TrueType
    font and an OpenType font is the presence of *optional* layout tables that
    support glyph substitution and positioning. Officially, the only difference
    is the presence of a digital signature.

    >I am unsure as to
    >whether, in formal terms, TrueType is "a file format that supports Unicode"
    >as it does not allow the ZWJ sequences to be recognized.

    Of course TrueType allows ZWJ sequences to be recognised. ZWJ is a
    character that can appear in Unicode text and in the Unicode cmap of a
    TrueType font. If a font does not contain a ligature for the sequence, or
    does not contain layout information to render the sequence as a ligature,
    the text is still processed according to the Unicode Standard, i.e. nothing
    happens. To say that a font only supports Unicode if it can process and
    render as a ligature every usage of the ZWJ character is foolish: every
    font would have to contain glyphs and substitution lookups to support every
    potential use of ZWJ in every possible
    c+ZWJi+i+ZWJi+r+ZWJi+c+ZWJi+u+ZWJi+m+ZWJi+s+ZWJi+t+ZWJi+a+ZWJi+n+ZWJi+c+ZWJi+e.
    That's even more moronic that saying that a font has to contain a glyph for
    every character in Unicode in order to support the standard. It simply is
    not true, and you're wrong. Again.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467