RE: In defense of Plane 14 language tags (long)

From: Jungshik Shin (jshin@mailaps.org)
Date: Wed Nov 06 2002 - 01:42:25 EST

    On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Thomas Chan wrote:

    > On Tue, 5 Nov 2002, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    > > It is false that Japanese is unreadable if displayed with Chinese-style
    > > glyphs, or that Polish is unreadable if displayed with Spanish-styles acute
    > > accents.

    > It is also not even an issue of language, but national glyph preferences.

     I would add that it's also *personal* preferences. I believe that used be
    much more the case in the past (i.e. before the 'universal' national
    education system was in place and standardized tests got wide spread
    in East Asian countries.) than now. The tolerance limit of glyph
    variants by CJK people seem to have anti-correlation with 'the power
    and influence' of the ministry of education (or similar government
    dept./agency) in CJK countries. In the CJK Ideograph section of ISO
    10646 (where 5 glyphs - soon to be 6 - are listed for each character),
    it's not rare that glyphs listed under Taiwan or Japan column are more
    of my liking than glyphs listed as Korean although I'm a Korean. What
    are listed as standard Korean glyphs appear to be, in a sense, glyphs
    preferred by those involved in the standardization process.

      Jungshik