Re: ct, fj and blackletter ligatures

From: John H. Jenkins (jenkins@apple.com)
Date: Thu Nov 07 2002 - 12:34:40 EST

    On Thursday, November 7, 2002, at 09:40 AM, Peter_Constable@sil.org
    wrote:

    > As for providing a
    > notification dialog to say that the text contains < c, ZWJ, t > but
    > that
    > the font doesn't support it, there are no existing mechanisms to
    > support
    > that at present, but it hasn't been demonstrated that there really is
    > any
    > need, and I really don't expect vendors will be hearing too many
    > complaints from users.

    Actually, you *could* do it on a Mac if you really wanted to. I'm not
    sure why you would, however. One of the advantages of the ZWJ
    mechanism for requesting ligatures is that if the request is impossible
    to fulfill, it can be ignored. For discretionary ligatures like ct,
    this is the appropriate response. (Matters are a bit more complicated
    for required ligatures, of course.)

    John H. Jenkins
    jenkins@apple.com
    jhjenkins@mac.com