Plane 1 maths fraktur in textual apparatus?

From: John Hudson (tiro@tiro.com)
Date: Sat Nov 09 2002 - 11:02:03 EST

    I'm spec'ing a glyph set for a family of typefaces that will support, among
    other things, textual apparatus in Biblical scholarship. Among the glyphs
    that need to be included are a subset of about a dozen uppercase fraktur
    letters that are used in _Biblia Hebraica Stuttgartensia_ to indicate
    different manuscript sources. These can be handled as glyph variants of the
    standard (roman) uppercase letters in the fonts, but this limits their
    usefulness to applications that provide a mechanism for accessing them, and
    to documents that include appropriate markup. I am wondering if there would
    be either practical or philosophical objection to using Plane 1
    Mathematical Alphabets fraktur codepoints for these glyphs, so that they
    could be encoded in plain text documents? My reasoning is that, as in
    mathematical setting, most of the meaning of the fraktur letters in textual
    apparatus is in their fraktur-ness, rather than in their A-ness, B-ness, etc.

    John Hudson

    Tiro Typeworks www.tiro.com
    Vancouver, BC tiro@tiro.com

    It is necessary that by all means and cunning,
    the cursed owners of books should be persuaded
    to make them available to us, either by argument
    or by force. - Michael Apostolis, 1467