RE: The result of the plane 14 tag characters review.

From: Peter_Constable@sil.org
Date: Wed Nov 13 2002 - 14:21:36 EST

    On 11/13/2002 09:03:26 AM "Dominikus Scherkl" wrote:

    >Ok, this is less heavy, but not very much.
    >Or what do you think what "weight" in this context means?!?

    There is "weight" in terms of bandwidth, but also in terms of mechanisms
    needed to interpret markup. It takes a lot more to handle HTML or XML than
    it does simply language tagging using plane 14 characters -- or some
    simpler form of markup than HTML / XML.

    I'm not trying to argue specifically in favour of the plane 14 characters,
    BTW.

    - Peter

    Peter Constable

    7500 W. Camp Wisdom Rd., Dallas, TX 75236, USA
    Tel: +1 972 708 7485
    E-mail: <peter_constable@sil.org>