Re: The result of the plane 14 tag characters review.

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Thu Nov 14 2002 - 06:26:17 EST

    George W Gerrity scripsit:

    > The problems occur first, because the code scanner can no longer be
    > stateless;

    It can't anyway for all the complex scripts (CJKV is not really complex,
    just large).

    > second, because one needs to provide an over-ride to
    > higher-level layout engines;
    > third, because it can't solve problems
    > where multiple glyphs exist, whose use is highly context-dependent,
    > as is the case for some Japanese texts;

    That is the function (not yet really exercised) of the variation
    selectors.

    > and fourth, because there is
    > no one-one translation between the (largely) non-unified simplified
    > and traditional characters in Chinese.

    It is a mistake to think that these are unified in Unicode; they aren't.

    > It seems to me that the Unicode people should bite the bullet that
    > where the unification process creates problems, a solution needs to
    > be provided. The use of the language tags should be able to deal with
    > most objections to rendering in a given language, _provided_
    > direction is given as to how the use of plane 14 tags should behave
    > (I say, as a hint for glyph choice), and how the rendering engine
    > should communicate with higher-order text processing.

    Unfortunately, it is now well-established that language and typographical
    tradition aren't the same thing. See the FAQ at www.unicode.org.

    --
    John Cowan  jcowan@reutershealth.com  www.ccil.org/~cowan  www.reutershealth.com
    "If I have not seen as far as others, it is because giants were standing