Re: mixed-script writing systems

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 13:22:15 EST

    Peter_Constable@sil.org scripsit:

    > So, the question is this: Should we say that this writing system is
    > completely Latin (keeping the norm that orthographic writing systems use a
    > single script) and apply the principle of unification -- across languages
    > but not across scripts -- to imply that we need to encode new characters,
    > Latin delta, Latin theta and Latin yeru? Or, do we say that this writing
    > system is only *mostly* Latin-based, and that it mixes in a few characters
    > from other scripts?

    The Kurdish precedent suggests the latter (Kurdish is Cyrillic but uses Q and
    W from Latin), but some of us think that was wrongly decided and should be
    overruled. (IANAL, TINLA.)

    --
    "No, John.  I want formats that are actually       John Cowan
    useful, rather than over-featured megaliths that   http://www.ccil.org/~cowan