Re: mixed-script writing systems

From: John Cowan (jcowan@reutershealth.com)
Date: Fri Nov 15 2002 - 16:54:25 EST

    Dean Snyder scripsit:

    > Group A writes the logically ordered graphemic sequence *acme* as "acme";
    > group B as "emca".

    This fact requires separate encoding, because bidi-ness is a noncontextual
    property of a Unicode character.

    > Group A pronounces the graphemic sequence "acme" as /acme/; group B as /stoi/.

    This is irrelevant.

    > Group A uppercases the graphemic sequence "acme" as "ACME"; group B as
    > "acme" (i.e., no uppercase).

    This is handled with language-specific casing.

    > Group A ligates the sequence "acme" as "a" + "cme"; group B as "ac" + "me".

    This isn't even a Unicode issue, it's a font issue.

    --
    Her he asked if O'Hare Doctor tidings sent from far     John Cowan
    coast and she with grameful sigh him answered that      www.ccil.org/~cowan