Re: Errors in the Indic FAQ

From: jameskass@att.net
Date: Sun Nov 17 2002 - 12:20:51 EST

    Andy White wrote concerning ZWJ/ZWNJ mechanisms for Indic scripts,
    specifically for the Khanda Ta presentation form.

    I've sent a test text file and a graphic showing how the text file
    is displayed here to Andy White off list.

    AFAICT, the problem is not with the Unicode Standard, but rather
    with the shaping engine. On Windows, Uniscribe re-orders the
    vowel sign i to be before the Khanda Ta in the sequence:
    TA VIRAMA ZWJ TA VOWEL-SIGN-I
    (This displays here as VOWEL-SIGN-I KHANDA-TA TA, but, if I'm
    understanding correctly, should display as:
    KHANDA-TA VOWEL-SIGN-I TA.)

    Wouldn't it be better to fix the shaping engine than to change
    the standard?

    Best regards,

    James Kass.