Re: Morse code

From: Jim Allan (jallan@smrtytrek.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 13:43:58 EST

    Otto Stolz posted on suggested values for dot and dash in Morse Code:

    > U+2013 was a bad idea, as some (many, most?) fonts concatenate the
    > U+2013 glyphs into a horizontal line. So, I think, U+002d HYPHEN-MINUS
    > is the better alternative.
    >
    > Most Morse code instructions I've seen in the Internet, or on paper,
    > use U+002E FULL STOP for the Morse dot; but I think, we should rather
    > recommend U+00B7 MIDDLE DOT.

    Microsoft Word (and possibly other word processors?) by default replaces
    any two occurrences of HYPHEN-MINUS with an m-dash on input. This can be
    turned off, but it's annoying to have to turn off something so useful
    for normal text entry.

    Also, line-breaking after the HYPHEN-MINUS would be liable to occur in
    the middle of what is intended to be a complete character at a higher level.

    Perhaps then U+2212 MINUS SIGN is a preferrable symbol for dash (if
    available in the font) as it will be left alone by higher level formatting.

    U+22C5 DOT OPERATOR might also be used for the dot symbol.

    Jim Allan