Re: The result of the Plane 14 tag characters review

From: Michael Everson (everson@evertype.com)
Date: Mon Nov 18 2002 - 17:55:53 EST

    At 13:37 -0800 2002-11-18, Kenneth Whistler wrote:

    >Go to any Japanese newspaper. There is no required change of
    >typographic style when Chinese names and placenames are mentioned
    >in the context of Japanese articles about China.
    >
    >Go to any Chinese newspaper. There is no required change of
    >typographic style when Japanese names and placenames are mentioned
    >in the context of Chinese articles about Japan.

    Just to be sure: this means that when a Japanese newspaper it uses
    the glyphs its readers prefer for Chinese names, not glyphs which
    Chinese readers may prefer? Does this extend to the
    Simplified/Traditional instance, so that if a Chinese name has the
    word for horse in it, it uses the Japanese glyph for horse,not either
    the S or T version of the glyph (assuming for the sake of argument
    that both occur and that both are different from the preferred
    Japanese glyph)?

    >These is completely comparable to the fact that my local
    >English-language newspaper doesn't need a German language tag
    >to write Gerhard Schroeder.

    No, but it might requires an editor clever enough to write Schröder. :-)