Re: [OT] Curious about persian page numbers (was RE: ISIRI 6219:2002)

From: Roozbeh Pournader (roozbeh@sharif.edu)
Date: Tue Nov 19 2002 - 11:06:36 EST

    On Tue, 19 Nov 2002, Marco Cimarosti wrote:

    > This is what the page numbers look like:
    >
    > ..."???", "?", "?", "?", "?"
    > ("Alif", "B", "T", "Th", "J"...)

    You are missing the "Peh" between "Beh" and "Teh".

    > I guess that the name of the letter "?" ("alif") is spelled out in full to
    > avoid confusion with page "?" (digit "1").

    Yes. One rarely sees an Alef in isolation. It's almost always spelled out.

    > I notice that also letters "?", "?", "?" ("miim", "ha", and "`ayn") look
    > similar, respectively, to digits ?" ("2", "5" and "4"). Are these letters
    > spelled out in full as well?

    Meem is not that similar to 2, the round head and the smooth curve
    distinguishes it from 2. Heh is distinguished from 5 by using its initial
    form when it's being used alone (actually, the most frequent use of ZWJ is
    Persian is just after a single Heh). Ain is again not that much similar to
    4, since we use a different shape of 4 (U+06F4).

    BTW, question marks were yours. Your email was tagged as ISO-8859-1. Of
    course your email could be understood completely because of the additional
    comments.

    roozbeh