RE: Morse coded Unicode(was: Morse code

From: Tom Gewecke (tom@bluesky.org)
Date: Thu Nov 21 2002 - 16:34:03 EST

    >The point that I was making was not to actually encode Unicode in Morse but
    >to make people think of Unicode in a different light. Morse code is a
    >different media and its purposes are different from most applications that
    >employ Unicode.
    >
    >Mapping between Morse and Unicode is like translating between different
    >language that represent different cultures.

    What different light? Isn't Morse simply the first (variable bit) binary
    character encoding standard, which was followed by the 5-bit Baudot,
    various 6, 7, and 8 bit encodings, and finally (we hope) by the 21 bit
    Unicode? Morse's fundamental purpose was really the same as the others,
    and the medium makes no difference. As has been demonstrated, you can
    transmit Unicode by aural dit's and dah's or by flashlight if you want.