Re: Morse code

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Fri Nov 29 2002 - 14:45:17 EST

    On 2002.11.23, 19:04, Doug Ewell <dewell@adelphia.net> wrote:

    > These are typographical preferences, though, and don't indicate a need
    > for special MORSE DOT and MORSE DASH characters.

    Fair enough. But...

    > AFAIK, nobody is refusing to use Unicode and writing on mailing lists
    > and newsgroups that "Unicode is not usable" because of disagreements
    > or inadequacies in the way Morse Code dots and dashes are encoded or
    > displayed.

    Now you disappoint me. ;-) What if there were? Would that change the
    above quoted non-need for special MORSE DOT and MORSE DASH characters?

    (IMO, the thing here might be the interest -- not *need* -- of having a
    face-independent square middot, or "dot-dash", or "raised period". But
    that is, at most, a typographic need, something one step outside the
    Unicode agenda.)

    Actually, it was (among other swell stuff) the CJK ideograph unification
    that convinced me that Unicode is a Good Thing and not the usual ISO
    "crop".

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin, | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 917 511 549 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |