Re: Localized names of character ranges

From: Anto'nio Martins-Tuva'lkin (antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt)
Date: Mon Dec 02 2002 - 14:22:12 EST

    On 2002.12.01, 11:44, Lukas Pietsch <lukas.pietsch@pluto.uni-freiburg.de> wrote:

    > I just wondered if anybody at Microsoft has noticed that the names of
    > the Unicode ranges used in German localized editions of MS Office are
    > woefully inadequately translated.

    Precisely the same problem in portuguese. :-(

    > Just to be constructive, here's my suggestions for a better translation:

    That's highly commandable, and I was tempted to do the same, but is
    there really a point? After all these are block names, and we know how
    inadequate they are per se. I mean, U+0023 is not real a part of basic
    latin script, rather a currency unit. etc. IMO, MSWord should follow the
    same approach as MSCharMap.

    -- ____.
    António MARTINS-Tuválkin, | ()|
    <antonio@tuvalkin.web.pt> |####|
    R. Laureano de Oliveira, 64 r/c esq. |
    PT-1885-050 MOSCAVIDE (LRS) Não me invejo de quem tem |
    +351 917 511 549 carros, parelhas e montes |
    http://www.tuvalkin.web.pt/bandeira/ só me invejo de quem bebe |
    http://pagina.de/bandeiras/ a água em todas as fontes |